Five Garlic Pasta. Yes, I said FIVE.





I love garlic. Luckily, so does my husband. One of his favorite dishes is my Three Garlic Pasta, adapted from this Martha Stewart recipe from ages ago (seriously, I've been making it for years). I recently decided to kick it up a notch to five garlics. Mission: blow hubby's mind. 

I decided to take the original three garlics -- roasted, toasted and sautéed -- and add raw garlic, as well as garlic scapes. That makes five. In your face, Martha!

As a born-and-bred city girl, I never had a garden; as soon as we moved to the 'burbs I knew I had to plant some garlic! Scapes are the lovely, curly tops of the garlic plant and have a wonderful, mild garlic flavor. You can find scapes at farmer's markets, although the season will be over soon, at least in my neck of the woods; if you don't have access to scapes, just make Four Garlic Pasta!
Graceful and garlicky!
Ingredients
serves about 6
  • 2 heads garlic
  • 1 pound cappellini (or other long pasta)
  • 3T extra virgin olive oil
  • 1c chopped garlic scapes
  • 1c dry white wine (if I don't have an open bottle, I use vegetable or chicken stock)
  • 1 bunch parsley, chopped
  • 1T red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • shaved parmesan cheese, optional
Roast one head of garlic. You can cut the whole head and bake it (per Martha's recipe); somehow I tend to lose too much of the flesh when I cut across the whole head. So, I like to break up the head into separate cloves, drizzle with a teaspoon or so of EVOO and bake in foil for about 45 minutes at 425 degrees.



Let cool and squeeze the flesh out of the papery skin. The cloves should be tender and golden.


Mash them with the oil in which they were roasted. That oil is precious!


While the garlic is roasting, chop half a head of garlic (setting aside one or two tablespoons)...

and slice the other half of the head.


Chop those scapes, while you're at it.

Heat about 2T of the EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and toast until lightly browned and crisp. Remove from pan with a fork or slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel (as you would bacon).
My husband requested a bag of garlic chips for our upcoming road trip to Sesame Place. The man is hooked!
Add chopped garlic -- minus the one or two tablespoons you reserved -- and scapes to the pan. Sauté until garlic is translucent and tender. In the meantime, start cooking your pasta (I like to use angel hair, which takes just a few minutes; if you're using a different pasta, plan accordingly).
Pour in the wine or stock and simmer for a few minutes. Whisk in the roasted garlic. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper. Just before draining pasta, take a ladleful (or two) of the pasta water and add to the garlic and wine sauce.

Drain the pasta but do not rinse. Add it to the skillet, throw in the parsley and raw garlic and toss until well-coated in the sauce. Drizzle with a bit more EVOO and sprinkle the garlic chips and some shaved parmesan (if you're using it) on top. If you like a little more heat, add a touch more red pepper flakes.


Get ready to enjoy a garlicky gastronomic delight! And don't forget to pop some mints before you do any smooching...


Comments

  1. Janet, this is sooo amazing and I really appreciate your reporting back! Where did you get a julienne peeler? i want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe!  I have made it a few times already.  Tonight I had squash from a friend's garden (I honestly do  not know the variety, but spaghetti squash would work well).  I have this awesome julienne peeler.  I peeled them up, boiled them for about 3-4 minutes in salted water and used that in place of the pasta.  I wish my picture was better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's really good, even without fresh-from-my-garden scapes. I've been making this since way before i had a garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love garlic too but no garden for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. my farmer's market still has them, though this may be the last wknd for them. I was thinking about garlic chives for a 6th garlic. Anyway, 4 Garlic Pasta would still be delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds amazing. Garlic scapes are gone but maybe I can figure out another fifth garlic...mmmh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely agree. I think broccoli or cauliflower would be especially fab. Thanks so much for trying it out and thanks for reporting back with a review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this...I love, love, love it!!! I am helping myself to my second bowl as I type!   I used whole wheat thin linguine.  I would use this as a base for other things, maybe a primavera next time and add some julienned vegs! 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Let us know when you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks SOOO good! If it weren't so late I'd make it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't stop eating this and keep getting up from my chair to have "just one more bite" from the pot. This was perfect. I love that all of your recipes that I've tried so far are unfussy; all the work goes into small details that make a real difference. The roasted garlic was amazing. The garlic chips (which I should've made more of) was divine. This is going to become a staple. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. garlic chips WERE divine. i'm in a food coma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so thrilled you liked it! And, yeah, you can never make too many garlic chips. If I had better/faster knife skills, i'd make tons.

    Thanks, too, for the really lovely remark about my "unfussy" food - it's exactly what i aim for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. workin' on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks amazing.... but being an Aussie I have no idea what scapes are???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Sonia! I actually don't think most Americans know what scapes are, either; I surely didn't until I saw them in the local farmer's market! They're basically the tops of garlic plants (the bulb is underground) - they're kind of like a mild, garlic-flavored scallion...

    ReplyDelete
  18. they sound yummy! what you call scallion, we call green shallots :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the linguistic variations among the English-speaking countries!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts